Tobacco Free, Baby
It takes 21 days to break a habit...
Everyone knows that smoking cigarettes can cause serious health problems.
Here's a refresher course for those who've forgotten the malignant effects of tobacco use:
- Heart Disease
- Gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath
- (of the) lungs, bladder, kidneys, cervix, larynx (voice box), throat,esophagus, mouth, esophagus,stomach, uterus, & acute myeloid leukemia
- Osteoporosis in post-menopausal women
- and Death (1 in every 5 deaths in the United States)
...but did we mention that smoking hurts your unborn baby too?If you're planning for a fall pregnancy...It may be time to kick this nasty habit to the curb, for babies' sake!
For starters, women who smoke during pregnancy may encounter:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- vaginal bleeding
- Placental Abruption (placenta peels away, partially or almost completely, from the uterine wall before delivery)
- Placenta previa ((a low-lying placenta that covers part or all of the opening of the uterus)
- A Stillbirth
What about baby???
Babies born to women who choose to smoke during their pregnancy may be born with birth defects (clef lip or pallet) or born prematurely and/or at a low birth weight. Preemie babies are at risk for lifelong, serious health problems such as: cerebral palsy, mental retardation, learning disabilities, or death in some devastating cases.
Remember, second hand smoke exposure is equally as harmful to the unborn baby so be aware of your surroundings. When inhaling someone else's smoke... your baby is at risk of dying from SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) and has a higher risk for developing asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections, respiratory symptoms, and slow lung growth.
Perhaps now is a good time to quit. The sooner you quit smoking during pregnancy, the healthier you and your baby will be.
Just FYI- while quitting smoking will help you & your baby be healthy... there are other benefits that are fabulous.
- cleaner teeth
- fresher breath
- fewer stain marks on your fingers
- fewer wrinkles ( a free anti-aging regimen)
- better sense of smell & taste (yum!)
- More strength & renewed ability to be active! Go you!
It takes 21 days to break a habit...today is day 1...
Let's be tobacco free, baby!